[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1299652811313.jpg (8 KB, 232x258)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Finally saw Zootopia, and as someone who was very outspoken in regards to some of the themes I had seen or heard before even seeing the movie, I can confidently say that I was right.

>Anthropomorphism usually works best when it's done for characterization
>When animals become self-aware, introduces plot holes and fallacies that you usually have to work around, ie. predators eat fish and insects despite the fact that that would never sustain a lion or a tiger
>In turn, the world building ends up being very shallow or distracting, ie. the fact that elephants and mice interact and co-exist in the same city
>It's not to say you can do size-play, ie. Mr. Biggs or Finnick, but you typically have to use aggregate size differences
>I can appreciate a theme about discrimination and differences, but holy shit did they shove that shit down your throat, while at the same time, using a very vague/shallow theme
>IE. Hopps is the first rabbit on the police force, but then who polices Rodentia?
>Nick is the first Fox on the force, but does that mean foxes are discriminated against specifically?
>The reality of it is, I think a ounce of subtly would have gone a long way and made the difference between a good movie and a great movie
>For example, Nemo wasn't spouting I'M HANDICAPABLE every 5 minutes, instead the movie was about personal insecurities

Overall, I liked the movie, and I thought the animation was beautiful, but goddamn did Disney release it at such a touchy political time.

I also thought it was a bit wordy--show, don't tell.....
>>
File: 1s1.gif (487 KB, 500x208)
487 KB
487 KB GIF
This is now a Hogarth's mom thread post best mom
>>
>>83370584
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________hog hug
>>
File: 1276569158910.jpg (22 KB, 384x329)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>83370671
Hog-hog.......?
HOG HUG!!
You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast! [/SPOILER]
>>
>>83370584

There's already a Zootopia thread, you really should have posted this there. But whatever. I can't be assed reading all of your post but

>>Nick is the first Fox on the force, but does that mean foxes are discriminated against specifically?

Seems to be the case. Whereas other preds are just seen as strong and potentially dangerous, foxes are seen as liars, thieves, and conmen. They're basically fuzzy gypsies.
>>
>>83370584
>>IE. Hopps is the first rabbit on the police force, but then who polices Rodentia?

In one of the posters or the blu-ray cover you can see a mouse cop.
>>
So, I thought that Gazelle was supposed to be a reference to Adele, but she was voiced by Shakira. What the fuck?
>>
>>83370612
nose could be better
>>
>>83370584
>goddamn did Disney release it at such a touchy political time.
If anything, that's partly what made it so successful. A few people saw it because they heard that it touched upon stuff like that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.